Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Thrill of What You Already Have


A new blog challenge hosted by Floss in Toulouse, Haute Garonne, France is something that intrigues me. Floss says about her blog challenge:
This is the idea - every month I post a photo from my calendar (this year it's iconic Scottish rail tourism posters from the 1920s and '30s) and we use that photo - colour schemes, shapes, images, location, content - ANY aspect of it - to inspire us. We search through our drawers, boxes, attics, stables etc and make up a display of lovely or surprising things, and then share a photo on our blog. If you're like me, having a monthly excuse to rummage, combine, display and then gloat will be a very enjoyable experience. Sharing our pictures will really give us a chance to thrill over our 'stuff' without any need to go out and buy any more of it. And seeing photos of other people's ideas should give us further inspiration of what we can do ourselves. 
A commenter named Carolyn said about this 2012 blog theme: 
 I think this is an excellent idea, esp as it not only encourages us to be content, to be happy, to appreciate and enjoy what we have; but it will also encourage us to look for things we had forgotten, to tidy out those cupboards, to reclaim old forgotten loves.
What a great challenge: be thankful for what you have, reflect on your blessings, and be aware of the beauty around you.

Here are some things I am thankful for (and yes, I DID clean out the china hutch last week, including taking all the crystal out, washing each piece, and windexing all the glass shelves!)


(A cut glass vase over 100 years old that was a wedding present to my grandmother.  She kept it filled with flowers when I lived with her during my teen years.  The bottom is discolored despite all the vinegar efforts to remove the lime deposits.)

(Cut glass salad bowl my mother received as a wedding present in 1944)


If you are a blogger, swing on over to Floss and join in this challenge.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog - I'm following you now! Thanks for your comment on mine. Blogger is polaying up today and many people [myself included] are having problems commenting, so I hope this gets through.

    and what lovely glassware!

    weeekend blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fantastic glassware you have! I have just a few pieces up high on a shelf - we've only recently felt brave enough to take them out of their boxes, as our boys are getting old enough (???) not to be a risk to them any more. The thought of those two pieces surviving decades or centuries is wonderful. Thanks so much for joining in - it's good to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy this is fantastic! I may give it a go. Love your glassware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing all of these beauties! Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is true. In this world of consumerism, greed and accumulation for no reason is encouraged too much. We shouldn't horde but just appreciate what we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..really nice one. I like it. Thank you for sharing.

    Stone Garden Sculptures

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!