Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Online Cookbook at No Cost

Thank you, Natalie, for sending this link.  It is a downloadable cookbook from Penzey's Spices.  Go here to see the entire cookbook online.

There are many great recipes in the book, and I thought it interesting to read about the spices Penzey's sells.  My first purchase will be "vindaloo seasoning" for chicken (page 22).  It says this about Vindaloo Seasoning:  
This hot and spicy blend comes from Goa, a small state nestled in the middle of the Malabar Coast of India. Though control of Goa was returned to India in 1961, the four and a half centuries of Portuguese rule left many lasting impressions. Pork Vindaloo is a favorite dish of the Catholics, who make up a third of the population of Goa. The Muslims and Hindus of India prefer Vindaloo lamb or duck. 
Mix 2-5 TB. spice in 2-5 TB. water, set aside. Heat 2 TB oil, brown 1 ¹/2 lb. pork
cubes, remove, then brown 1 large minced onion. Put browned pork back into pot, add Vindaloo paste, 1 cup water, 6 TB. vinegar and 1 tsp. salt, cook 30 min. Add 4-6 cups cubed potatoes, cook till tender (45 min. or so). For authentic fiery hot Vindaloo as served in beach
front restaurants in India, add an equal part cayenne pepper. Hand-mixed from: coriander, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, crushed brown mustard, cayenne, jalapeƱo pepper, cardamom, turmeric, black pepper, cloves. 
1⁄ 4 cup jar (net 1.0 oz.)   #12531   $ 3.65
1⁄ 2 cup jar (net 2.2 oz.)   #12557   $ 6.29
4 oz. bag   #12544   $ 6.89
8 oz. bag   #12586   $ 12.75
1 lb. bag   #12515   $ 24.40
This is just ONE of the recipes that looked good to me for Creamy Chicken Chowder:



4 comments:

  1. Yummmy... thanks for sharing! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy, Your chowder looks really good. Your post was particularly interesting to me because my mother was born and raised in India. She does use Penzey spices and has even sent them to me. They are really great spices. My mother had told me that my grandfather was part Goan-she was raised a Catholic. I know she would fix curried chicken sometimes and lamb, but I always preferred the chicken. I will have to ask her if she ever ate Vindaloo. I've not ever heard of it. Thank you for your information, have a wonderful weekend Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy..*hugs*
    I am going to check out those spices and thank you for sharing this information. I'll look forward to seeing your dish when your spice arrives.

    AND I think that chicken chowder sounds great too. That is particularly what I love to cook for Friday nights especially when its cold out there. I may have to give it a try tomorrow night...mmmmmm...

    and I liked your comment on matching running suits...you are right and we should do lots of running too!

    have a great evening..
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,

    Thank you for the link. I am always looking for new spice sources. The food is always better when you use the local spices. The Chicken Chowder looks good.

    When I cook German food it is so much better when I use the spices the German`s use. Brings back delicious memories. Thanks again.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for reading my post, and heaps more hugs and thank you's for leaving a note!